10/11/09

"A Call to Action": President Obama On Winning the Nobel Peace Prize

In reacting to the news this morning that he had won the Nobel Peace Prize, the President struck a note of humility and recognized that the award was a nod to a vision of what is to come:


I am surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee. Let me be clear: I do not consider this as recognition of my achievements, but rather the assertion of American leadership on behalf of the aspirations held by people of all nations.

To be honest, I do not deserve to be in the company of so many figures of transformation that has been honored by this award - men and women who have inspired me and inspired the world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that this award reflects the kind of world that men and women and all Americans, want to build - a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not only been used to honor specific output is also used as a means of giving impetus to a number of causes. And so I accept this award as a call to action - a call for all nations to address common challenges of the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment